Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tomatoes!

Sunflower Market had Roma tomatoes on sale this week, so while I was shopping for this week's menu, I picked up a few for next week - we'll have chicken tortilla soup!  Knowing they were in the fridge, I decided that I would go ahead and prepare them ahead of time, to make at least one dinner a little faster next week.  When I opened the drawer to get them...I found a box of cherry tomatoes, too!  A few weeks ago at a church dinner, there was a vegetable tray that had gone unopened, and whoever was in charge that evening, offered it to our table.  I was the only one who wanted it (the tray was huge and even I didn't know how I would fit it in my fridge!), so my kids had raw broccoli and baby carrots in their lunches for the next week, and I used lots of cherry tomatoes in omelets and on bruschetta, but there was still a big box left.  These were about to see their last day, 


so I rescued them out of the fridge, cut them up, and tossed them in the oven to roast along with the Romas.
 Here's the prep - cut in half, and drizzle with olive oil.


 Roasted at 400 for about 35 minutes, they come out with split skins looking shriveled and a little browned, and the smell is delightful...

 I scraped them into a blender, adding oregano and basil to the cherries,


and now I have the makings of some pretty easy soup base and pizza sauce!  Not to mention the fact that I rescued from sure death, an entire box of sweet little innocent cherry tomatoes!

1 comment:

  1. I'll be sharing a recipe I made for tomato soup soon on my blog :) ! I love the resourcefulness (is that a word?)

    ReplyDelete